Volunteers play a vital role in helping ETO to bring high quality productions of live opera to audiences across the country. ETO has only 11 full-time staff in its London office to organise and promote its performances in up to 30 towns and cities every year. Volunteers help ETO to reach people who might not know about the company, or who don’t realise that the company performs in their area.
There are many ways you can help, depending on your interests and the amount of free time you have. This could include distributing posters and flyers in your local town, or helping us to contact local groups, schools and choirs who might be interested in our performances. We are also always looking for Volunteers to help out in the English Touring Opera office in London with general administrative tasks. If your free time is more limited, you might be interested in helping out in the foyer at ETO performances, or giving out flyers at opera performances in cinemas.
This is by no means an exhaustive list and you may have skills and ideas of your own as to how you can help ETO reach audiences in your area. We would love to hear your suggestions.
If you would like to help ETO by Volunteering, please download the Volunteer Postcard and send it to us using the Freepost Address. Alternatively, please call John Holmes on 020 7833 2555 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
In return for the support of our Volunteers, we are keen to ensure that opera continues to be a vital part of the artistic fabric in your local community.
ETO Networks are local social groups for supporters and volunteers to come together and share their passion for opera with like-minded people. Through the expansion of these groups, we are keen to offer our Volunteers a unique opportunity to get to know our company better.
We currently have Networkers in 15 different venues around the UK including Malvern, Cheltenham, Cambridge, Exeter, Truro, Wolverhampton and London.
“From the very beginning of my involvement with ETO I have been met with nothing but kindness and gratitude by all the members of the ‘creative team’.” Sarah Roberts, London Networker
There are numerous ways of contributing as a Networker. You can help us by:
- Spreading the word! Help us create a buzz.
- Bringing people to see our performances. If you know someone who likes opera, why not introduce them to ETO? You could even organise a group from you work or your university. Many of our regular venues offer discounted rates for groups and students.
- Sending our print to friends, family and business contacts, who you think might enjoy our work.
- Distributing flyers, posters, mailing list cards, season brochures to local places like post offices, libraries, community halls etc.
- Giving us feedback and advice about everything from our local presence and press coverage, to schools or arts organisations who might benefit from working with us.
“I would like to say a big ‘thanks’ to James for his talks [to our group]. He knows all the operas intimately and is full of enthusiasm. He gives us some real insights into operas before we see them.”
Robert Padgett, founding member of the Cheltenham Network